The 2020 festive campaign for Edmonton's Food Bank wrapped up on Friday, January 8. Thanks to the generosity of our community, we reached our goals of $1.7 million and 250,000 kilograms of food.
"We asked our donors to once again help our work as they have so thoughtfully done in the past, and they stepped up. It is only with their generosity that we are able to provide the kind of support to the community that we do," says Marjorie Bencz, CM, Executive Director of Edmonton's Food Bank. "The past year has proven to be an ongoing struggle. We were concerned for Christmas but through your donations, we were able to help over 9,000 households and are prepared for continued work in 2021."
We operate year-round and our doors have not closed despite the pandemic - we have remained open and continue to help feed our community.
"What we are able to provide in 2021 is a direct result of the donations from our festive campaign," reminds Marjorie Bencz, CM. "The generosity of the public and our community is vital and appreciated."
Some of the ways you can continue to help Edmonton’s Food Bank this year:
- Drop some non-perishable food in an Edmonton Food Bank donation bin the next time you're at the grocery store. Here is our list of Most Needed Items.
- Donate securely online through our website using the Donate Now button at the top of the page.
- Head to one of the community events supporting our work listed on our Events page. Despite the ongoing pandemic, Edmontonians are finding ways to support our work virtually and in person. Check out these upcoming events which comply with all AHS guidelines.
- Organize a food drive at your work, school or church. Be sure to follow AHS guidelines.
- Create an online fundraiser through CanadaHelps.org and challenge your family and friends to make a donation.
- Text to donate. Text FEEDYEG to 20222 to make a $10 or $20 donation. Donations of $20 are tax-deductible.
- Be a Food Bank ambassador. Help spread the word about our work. Use #feedyeg online and tag us @yegfoodbank on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Plan your legacy. Whether a residual gift, a percentage gift, or a specific amount of your estate, consider adding a donation to Edmonton Gleaners Association (a.k.a. Edmonton's Food Bank) in your will. Be sure to include our charitable registration number: 129185310 RR0001
- Learn more about our work. Read about our 40-year history and our partnerships with other agencies. When you donate to Edmonton’s Food Bank, you are helping hundreds of other organizations throughout Edmonton.
- Connect someone with us. Do you know someone in need? We are always ready to help. Have them call 780.425.4190 to arrange for a food hamper (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4 pm).
- Plan a garden for 2021. It is never too early to plan for the growing season. Plant a garden in the new year and donate your garden produce to feed those in need.