Cook It Simple is a cooking program with a difference! In the following nine episodes, you'll learn how to make healthy meals using many of the ingredients commonly found in the Edmonton's Food Bank food hamper.
Stretch your food dollar with this informative and entertaining series, hosted by renowned local Chef Stanley Townsend.
Bread & Butter Pudding, Tomato Beef Macaroni Casserole, and Corn Chowder.
This episode of Cook It Simple features Bread & Butter Pudding, Tomato Beef Macaroni Casserole, and Corn Chowder.
Bread & Butter Pudding
- 2 cups milk or 1 cup milk with 1 cup drained canned Fruit syrup
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup raisins or fruit, sliced
- Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve
- Mix melted butter with milk, add fruit syrup.
- In separate bowl, combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract. Mix with whisk.
- Add bread and coat with mixture. Pour in milk mixture and stir. Add raisins or fruit and mix. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Dust with icing sugar if desired. Serve with yogurt and canned fruit.
Tomato Beef Macaroni Casserole
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- 1.5 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1/2 pepper, red or green or both, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 650 ml jar of red pasta sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Au Gratin Topping
- 250ml cottage cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 Tbsp margarine or butter
- Top with grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Add ground beef in frying pan, brown.
- Add onions, red or green peppers, garlic, chili flakes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add pasta sauce and crushed tomatoes. Stir in and simmer about 20 minutes.
- For Au Gratin topping, in new pan, add melted margarine or butter. Add bread crumbs, parmesan cheese. Stir and simmer until toasted brown.
- Add sauce mixture to macaroni in large mixing bowl, mix.
- Add cottage cheese and mix well.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Top with grated cheese if desired.
- Sprinkle au gratin mixture evenly on top of casserole.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top is golden brown.
Cowboy Beans, Chana, and Student Fried Rice.
This episode cooks up Student Fried Rice, Cowboy Beans, and Chana.
Student Fried Rice
- 4-6 cups cooked rice
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup peas, canned or frozen
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 can tuna or salmon
- 2 eggs, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Top with sesame seeds, if desired
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- Saute onions, add celery, red pepper, mushrooms, mix.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add cooked rice and stir in. Add stock.
- Add soya sauce, peas, stir in.
- Add eggs, tuna or salmon, stir well.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onions.
- 2 cans baked beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbeque sauce
- 4 hot dogs, sliced
- Chili powder, to taste
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- Saute chopped onion, add dash of chili powder to taste.
- Add chopped hot dog pieces.
- Add both cans of baked beans.
- Stir. Simmer until hot dogs are cooked and plumped, onions are browned.
- Mix together ingredients for biscuit topping, use rolling pin to flatten dough.
- Add BBQ sauce to bean mixture.
- Add a dash of chili powder if desired.
- Transfer bean mixture to square glass baking dish.
- Cut dough to fit on top of bean mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 10 minutes, remove, sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and green onion if desired.
Crispy Critter Chicken Fingers and Creamy Potato Salad.
Cooking up Crispy Critter Chicken Fingers and Creamy Potato Salad.
Crispy Critter Chicken Fingers
- 1 cup (250ml) cornflakes crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (3ml) garlic salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 eggs
- 2 lbs (900 grams) chicken breast cut into strips
- Heat oven to 425degrees. Line baking pan with foil.
- In a shallow glass dish, mix cornflake crumbs, parmesan or romano cheese and spices.
- Beat eggs and place in a second shallow glass dish.
- Dip chicken pieces in beaten egg and then in cornflake crumb mixture to coat completely. Place coated chicken on baking sheet.
- Bake chicken for 10-15 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165degrees.
- Remove from oven. Serve with dipping sauce of choice.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 4 cups (1000ml) diced new potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup (60ml) finely diced white or red onion
- 2 hard cooked eggs, grated
- 1 cup (250ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5ml) mustard
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Cook 2 & 1/2 lb of unpeeled new potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain and cool. When cool, peel potatoes using back of a knife to remove thin outer layer. Dice potatoes.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add potatoes and mix until blended. Correct seasoning as needed and refrigerate salad in sealed container.
Chow Mein, Tomato & Tuna Spaghetti, and Borscht.
This episode sizzles with recipes for Chow Mein, Tomato & Tuna Spaghetti, and Borscht.
- 1 pkg chow mein noodles
- 1 pkg bean sprouts, washed and drained (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, very thinly sliced
- Sprinkle of pepper
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions for garnish
- Cook noodles for two minutes in 8 cups of rapidly boiling salted water, drain and reserve.
- Heat oil in wok or sauté pan, add celery, onion, cabbage, and mushrooms. Mix well. Cook until soft. Add dash of pepper and salt. Add sesame oil and soya sauce. Mix in.
- Add bean sprouts(optional), cook additional 1 minute.
- Add noodles to vegetables while draining off the water, mix in, season to taste.
- Top with additional bean sprouts(optional) and green onion.
Tomato & Tuna Spaghetti
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dry chili flakes
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 can tuna
- 1/2 cup grated romano or parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 leaves of fresh basil
- Cook spaghetti in large amount of boiling salted water, drain.
- While spaghetti cooks, sauté garlic and chili flakes.
- Add tomatoes, heat through. Add tuna and mix.
- Add small amount pasta water to desired consistency.
- Add capers if desired.
- Scoop up spaghetti, drain off water, add to mixture, mix well.
- Add romano or parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Add oil and mix in. Add salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh basil.
- Cover pan and keep warm.
Additions if desired
- 2 Tbsp sliced olives
- 1 Tbsp capers
- Anchovy fillets, finely chopped
Bread Salad; Mushroom, Bean & Barley Soup; Breakfast Casserole, and yummy Caramelized Bananas.
Local Chef Stanley Townsend stirs up fun in this episode with Bread Salad; Mushroom, Bean & Barley Soup; "Wife Saver" Breakfast Casserole, and yummy Caramelized Bananas.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1/2 English cucumber or 4 small cucumbers, medium diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 slices bread, large diced for croutons
- 2 cups large croutons (for mixing into salad)
- 1 Tbsp oil (for croutons)
- 2 Tbsp oil (for salad)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Oregano, sliced onions, green pepper
- Toss 2 cups diced croutons in 1 Tbsp oil, add dash of paprika, dash of salt, dash of pepper, dash of garlic powder, mix. Place on baking pan, bake in 350degree oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Use as topping to any salad.
- Add oil and vinegar to bowl. Add garlic powder.
- Add tomatoes and cucumbers, olives. Mix.
- Add large croutons and mix well, let set for a few minutes so bread can absorb dressing.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish as desired.
Mushroom, Bean & Barley Soup
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 large carrot, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1tsp powdered garlic
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or canned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small turnip, diced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 200g chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 can baked beans
- Sauté celery, carrots, and onions in oil until softened, adding salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add turnip, mushrooms, peas. Simmer until onions turn clear.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil. Add parsley and beans. Add barley and cook until barley is tender and soup thickens, about 30 minutes. Simmer.
- Serve in soup bowls, garnish with chopped parsley.
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 can quality luncheon meat, diced small (or 2 cups diced ham)
- 400g grated cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup melted margarine
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal
- Oil 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Whisk eggs and spices, dry mustard, Worcestershire and hot sauce together.
- Mix in milk until well combined.
- Place 8 slices of bread to cover bottom of casserole dish.
- Pour over ½ of egg and milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with green onion, cheese and diced meat. Add second layer of 8 slices of bread.
- Cover with remaining milk and egg mixture and refrigerate overnight or until required.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Just before baking, sprinkle with corn flakes.
- Top with melted margarine and bake until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Let casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and split lengthwise
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in non-stick pan, add sugar and let melt.
- Place bananas in pan and cook until brown and sticky (both sides).
- Cut into quarters and serve over ice cream or yogurt.
French Onion Soup, Vegetarian 3 Bean Chili, Johnny Cake, and Butter Chicken.
We really get cooking in this episode with French Onion Soup, Vegetarian 3 Bean Chili, Johnny Cake, and Butter Chicken.
Vegetarian 3 Bean Chili
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp red chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 6-8 whole mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cans beans (your choice)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- Sour cream for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and all spices.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stir in.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cilantro) and simmer until flavours combine.
- Add additional spices as desired.
- Top with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.
- Add cilantro prior to serving (optional).
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream corn
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 jalapeno finely diced (optional)
- Stir together cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat eggs and add to cornmeal and mix well.
- Add cooking oil, cream corn, and sour cream. Mix well.
- Pour into greased 8x8 inch glass cake pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned. Serve.
This episode cooks up bread stuffing for turkey, teaches you how to brine your turkey, make your own gravy and turkey broth, and you'll learn how to cook the perfect turkey.
Cheeseburger Pie and Lazy Cabbage Rolls.
On this episode, enjoy some Cheeseburger Pie, Lazy Cabbage Rolls and more tasty dishes. Chef Stanley Townsend walks us through the recipes.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1 Tbsp green relish
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Bisquick mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, oil 9 inch pie dish.
- Cook off onions and ground beef until meat is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Add relish, ketchup and mustard and mix in. Drain and transfer to pie pan. Sprinkle ½ cup grated cheese on top. Put aside.
- Mix milk and beaten eggs and Bisquick mix to make smooth batter. Pour mixture over ground beef. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake about 25 minutes until golden brown and set, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let pie cool 15 minutes, cut into wedges.
Lazy Cabbage Rolls
- 1 small or ½ large head of cabbage, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add cabbage and cook 5 minutes until tender. Drain well. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic, salt and pepper in heated oil. Add pre-cooked ground beef and mix in. Stir in cabbage with ground beef mixture. Add tomatoes, tomato soup and water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer.
- Stir in rice and mix well. Add a dash of hot sauce (optional). Mix well. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Dish portions onto plates, serve garnished with sour cream, and chopped green onions if desired.
Jambalaya, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Pad Thai.
Cajun cooking is spicing things up with Jambalaya. Check out the Sweet and Sour Pork, along with Pad Thai for a delicious and varied menu on this episode. Plus pick up helpful cooking tips from host Chef Stanley Townsend and learn more about how to stretch your food dollar. Video is below.